Hair Drug Test
Testing: Tested person
Timeframe: 3 to 5 working days from the receipt of samples at the laboratory
Drug testing with Hair involves the collection and screening of hair for signs of drug use during the 90 days preceding the test. Through the use of Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) methodology and various mass spectrometry techniques, a method approved by multiple accrediting agencies, scientists are able to measure any drug molecules embedded inside the hair shaft.
Why should you choose this Drug Screening test?
- Hair samples cannot be substituted and are difficult to adulterate.
- Hair sample testing eliminates any chances of external contamination meaning that test results cannot be altered through the use of shampoos or any other external contaminants or chemicals.
- Drug testing with hair can detect a much longer period of drug use than alternative drug testing methods. The hair test’s standard window of detection is 90 days for head hair and circa 12 months for body hair. On the other hand, urinalysis can only detect most drugs within 2 to 3 days of use and after this period the tested person will result negative and slip through the screening process. This is not ideal in pre-employment testing since candidates might try to delay testing on purpose.
- The Hair Drug test is carried out at an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory with over sixteen years of experience in testing for drugs of abuse.
- The test offers an industry-leading turnaround time of 3 to 5 working days only.
Please note that turnaround time starts from the moment samples reach the laboratory.
What Drugs of Abuse are tested for?
The Hair Strand Drug test tests for a variety of illegal drugs. A wide range of drug testing panels is available for clients who may wish to test for different substances. Why don’t you take a look at the full list of illicit drugs tested for and testing panels available?
Hair Sample Collection
In the drug testing kit, you will find a hair specimen pouch, collection foil and a clear plastic transport bag. Collecting the sample is relatively easy but we still recommend that you read the below instructions for a successful collection.
- Collect more than 60 milligrams or 90-120 strands of hair
- Take hair from several places around the crown
- Do not use head hair if it is shorter than ½ inch long, instead, use body hair only
- If you take body hair, mark on the sample collection form that body hair was collected
- Make sure that you do not mix head hair and body hair
Please read the sample collection instructions for more detailed information.
Legal Hair Drug testing
Do you need legally defensible drug test results? At International Biosciences, we understand that you may need this test for reasons such as pre-employment drug testing or a court case. That is why we are offering you the option to upgrade to a legal Hair Drug test for just an additional £40! Please note that legal testing requires a doctor or professional sampler to collect the hair sample and verify the identity of the donor. The sample collection kit will be sent directly to your nominated sampler. Should you be interested in this upgrade, make sure to select the respective option when ordering the test.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between anonymous and legal testing?
Anonymous hair drug testing does not require a registered sampler to confirm the identity of the tested person and limited documentation is involved. It is also important to note that non-legal results do not mention the donor’s name. This type of testing is recommended for personal use such as a parent testing a sample of their teenager’s hair. On the other hand, legal hair drug testing needs a doctor or professional sampler to collect the hair sample and confirm the tested person’s identity. The sampler is requested to clearly and completely fill out the chain of custody form provided. Legal testing is ideal for clients who need legally defensible results for reasons such as pre-employment or a court case.
Is the name of the donor included in the test results?
The result for the non-legal version of hair drug testing does not mention the donor’s name and is reported as an “anonymous” donor. This is because there is no third party verification of the identity of the client. Clients should opt for a legal version of the test if they want the donor’s name to be included.
How soon after use can a drug be detected in a hair sample?
It takes around 5 to 10 days from the time of drug use for the hair follicle containing the drug to grow above the scalp where it can be collected.
Does body hair give the same type of results as head hair?
Body hair is accepted for Hair Drug testing. However, it represents a more distant time frame than head hair and the exact time period cannot be identified due to the high variability of growth rates.
Does hair colour affect the test results?
Hair colour is determined by the amount of melanin in the hair. It has been shown experimentally and determined in court that it has no significant impact on results.
Can hair collected by a brush be used?
Yes, it can be used but the test will be reported as having an “anonymous” donor. The laboratory cannot attribute the sample to a specific person and cannot determine the time frame of the test i.e. the test result will not be legally defensible.
Can external exposure to drugs affect the results?
Scientists at the laboratory wash all hair specimens prior to confirmation testing to remove any possible extermination. To rule out the possibility of external contamination, they also look for both the parent drug and metabolite (bi-product) of drug usage. This metabolite is only produced by the body and cannot be an environmental contaminant.