Testing: Applicant test only
Timeframe: 4 working days from receipt of samples at our UK office.
The International Biosciences Identification Profile DNA test provides clients with a hardcopy of their 16 marker DNA Profile. This test differs from most in that it does not test relationships between individuals, but brings out the unique DNA profile for an individual, which could be used for a number of reasons:
- To assist in determining familial relationships.
- In cases of inheritance, to ensure the rightful heirs to one’s estate and belongings are backed up by proof of relation.
- As a precaution for those in high risk jobs where future identification may be needed in the unfortunate circumstances of kidnapping, accidental death etc.
- To avoid possible expensive exhumations should your DNA profile be required in the future.
What Types of Identification Profiling DNA Tests Are Offered?
- Peace of mind test: This test is taken for personal reasons and cannot be used in a court of law.
- Court approved test: Our ISO 17025 accredited laboratory provides test results that can be used for legal purposes in a court of law. This means that the court admissible identification profile test can be used at any point to aid in the resolution of a legal dispute in situations such as the ones mentioned above.
Science Behind DNA Profiling
Once we receive your mouth swab samples, we will proceed to extract, amplify and replicate the DNA in the sample. We use a process in molecular biology called PCR, or polymerase chain reaction. Each profile consists of 16 genetic markers.
Collecting Samples For Your DNA Profile
When you receive the kit you will find 4 buccal swabs per individual, each in a colour-coded envelope. Samples are taken by rubbing the tip of the swabs provided against the inside of the cheek and then allowing them to dry for 15 minutes before putting them in the envelopes provided. For court-approved testing, samples must be taken by a health professional. For more information and a detailed guide on the sample collection process, click here.
Home DNA Banking Kit
For companies or businesses that deal in high-risk work looking to have their employees’ DNA stored in case it is required after an accident, International Biosciences offers DNA Banking Kits, allowing clients to easily take their DNA samples in the privacy of their own home. These samples can then be stored in a safe place for up to eleven years.
If you have any questions about any of our tests, please do not hesitate to contact us.